Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Perspective on Last Week

Last week was hard.  I spent most of it working like crazy to finish milestones for several different projects.  I usually love working hard - productivity and getting things done are my drugs of choice.  But I didn't get to spend as much time as I like with the family as a result.  I made up for that last night and today!  Last night, Tiffany and the older girls went to see a play at ISU called, "You Can't Take It With You".  They told me all about it when they got home; how it was a wonderful production and that they had a blast.  While they were gone, I held a huge movie party with everyone else - with popcorn everywhere.  Tiffany and I had a nice long date today and that was awesome - as every moment with her is.

Something that I've been thinking about on one of my Back-Burner ProcessorsTM all week is this:  Most human beings think that what they do is hard and everything anyone else does is easy.  I'm not saying that I'm immune to this way of thinking, either - I believe it comes naturally to all of us.  I am constantly reminding myself that I can't completely understand someone else's perspective, because I'm not them.  It saves a lot of time at work in my dealing with people and it's clearly a winning strategy in relating to my family and wife.  I don't jump to as many conclusions with this thought running around in my brain.

It's almost like we're all a bunch of similar-looking aliens living on the same planet having a totally different experience here, while subconsciously convincing ourselves that everyone else around us is sharing what we see, hear, feel, and think.   Looking at current events, this actually makes a lot of sense to me...  It would explain how groups of people can be so absolutely certain that they know how the world works and that everyone else must be total and complete morons - or else they must be evil or stupid on purpose which is even worse!

Come to think of it - I'd rather be a different species from people who have such a limited perspective anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the play "you cant take it with you" before--it's a funny one.
    I think it's terrific that you two go on dates! An all-day date sounds so wonderful! Can't remember the last time we did that...mostly because Kanyon's behavior prohibits us leaving the house for very long. Thank goodness you have teenage daughters who babysit and afford you that opportunity!!!

    ReplyDelete