Sunday, October 10, 2010

One of Our Favorite Books

One of the things Tiffany and I share is a love of books.  So it will come as no surprise that we have a lot of books!  More than some small town libraries, I shouldn't wonder - fifteen 6-foot bookshelves full, with more books in storage.  We hope someday to devote a room in our home to be a library/sitting room, but alas!  That fair dream has not yet materialized...

"The Blue Castle" by L. M. Montgomery is one of the favorite books in our collection.  I recently just finished reading it to my older two girls and they loved it as well.  It is funny, romantic, sweet, and poetic.  It has a very predictable storyline, but so do most fairy tales.

The characters in the book are so richly described and so darn human, that you feel like you know them.  The descriptions of the beauty of North-Eastern Canada are sweeping and obviously written by one who has seen and loved the area personally.

I must confess that this title is considered a 'girlie' book by most people.  It's not my usual fare of book, or a genre that I particularly enjoy either.  I love reading it all the same.  My heart goes out to the main characters.  The woman who decides to live for herself after spending years worrying about pleasing others (and the hysterical reactions of her relatives to this new conduct).  The man who seems so simple on the surface, but turns out to be so very deep.  It's just good stuff all the way around.  Gosh, I want to go re-read my favorite chapters again!

No comments:

Post a Comment